|3d muddler. Shaolin webmonkey. Creator of AEfter Ragnarok.|
At 8yo's request: "Make him frown!" (all the bases are gender neutral)
Seeing something mildly disturbing
Shock horror! I could have opened its mouth more but I was too lazy to go back to object mode to show the rig layer to be able to grab the jaw controller
How I feel right now
There's a few shape keys and going to be a hell of a lot more once I do the phonemes. Kind of wish I could get the drivers working just so I don't have to go trawling through the shape keys. After that or when I need a break from shape keying I'll see if I can get controllers for the hands and feet. Feet shouldn't be too much of a problem, I actually started on a foot rig before I abandoned it in favour of just manipulating the bones themselves like I was doing with the hands. I may end up doing that anyway but if I have controllers I can then hide the armatures without having to hide everything but the hand and foot bones.
So far I've got all of a left eye wink and a half smile. Once I got the left half smile right and figure out where the eyelashes go I'll mirror those shape keys and then do some really basic expression parts around happy, sad, angry and surprise which generally use the entire face. Then make some phonemes with help from this useful phoneme shape guide (link is external) someone had thoughtfully thrown at the internet.
Sculpt mode is awesome for shape keying.
I've spent a couple of weeks on and off trying to get bone driven shape keys to work with no luck. The driver attaches but I keep either getting values over 1 or under 0 depending on which way I want to move the driver and they only change the number by miniscule amounts. I tried changing the min and max numbers on the shape keys themselves to see if that would help and got some fun poltergeist activity (the directions flipped so when I tried to move a point up, it went down, and left when I moved it right, and some other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head now) so I set it back to min of 0 and max of 1 and everything went back to normal. I can deal with sliders in the side panel thingi, not really any different to what I was doing before.
Also had to grab the coordinates from a previous version as my model had accidentally moved at some point while I'd been mucking around and was no longer "symmetrical" and the eyes looked weird (the eyeballs live on their own layer so I really notice when the model has moved) and fix it.
Next thing will be some really basic textures and hair (partly so I can see where the eyelashes are for the eye shape keys and mostly so I can figure out how to do it) and then I'll trot along to the next mode. Probably the Dragonkin at this stage as I'm more game to tackle the prehensile tail rig than feathers.
Oh yeah and I did say I'd post a video of the rig test when I finished the rig so better not forget to do that too.